Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Boy After My Own Heart

I am a "saver." Ever since I was little, I enjoyed taking any money I received, putting it in the bank, and letting it sit. . . and earn interest! I don't remember any times when I wanted an item so badly that I wanted to use my "savings" in order to purchase the item!

Now, because of my obsession with saving money, I graduated college without owing any money and also paid at least $3000 toward my own wedding. When my husband and I married, I had enough for us to pay our first, last and security deposit for our first apartment! And after all was said and done, I still had money in CD's! Unfortunately, I am not in the same situation now, but I can assure you, once we have even $1 extra each week, I'll be saving it! :)

That being said, let me tell you about my dear son. My oldest boy, Zack, turned 5 this last week. In some of his birthday cards, he found money. He was soooo excited! My husband let him use one of his money clips, and Zack has been carrying it and sleeping with it ever since. We asked what he wanted to buy with his money, and he immediately told us, "A cowboy hat with a string (so it won't fall off when I ride my horse) and a new holster and gun." The boy knows what he wants! ;)

Well, we found a hat at one store, but no nice holster and gun (and we looked at 5 different stores!). When we got to the register I told him to take out 5 of his dollars to pay for his hat. He looked at his hat. . . he looked at his money. . .he looked at his hat. . . he looked at his money and said, "Five?!?!?" Right then, I saw myself in him! I said, "Honey, you don't have to buy it now. We can wait." He looked up at me and smiled. "OK, I'll leave it here and maybe we can go shopping again next week."

Ahhhh, my legacy lives on. I have "born" a "saver!" See, some people would say that I didn't need to spend any of my cash as a child because I had everything I wanted. Not so. I could see it in my sons eyes. Why spend when you can save? Is a cowboy hat REALLY worth his $5? Now, I'm not sure my other two boys will have the same outlook. . . but I can hope! :)

1 comment:

  1. You did good, Heather! You're a great example to your children. How special Zack is :)

    Love,
    Barbie

    ReplyDelete