Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Mawwwiage. . .


I know some of you do not appreciate 'The Princess Bride" due to your young age ;) but to me, it's a classic! Even my boys enjoy watching the movie. My oldest son will say, "No more rhyming, and I mean it!" and my youngest will answer with, "Anyone want a peanut?!?" Hee hee - I think it's so cute.

Speaking of marriage though, I was under the impression that girls were mainly the ones who dreamed of growing up and meeting their "special someone." Recently, I realized otherwise. While tucking my 3 year old into bed the other night, he looked at me and seriously asked, "Mom, can I marry a girl in the morning?"

My other two boys also talk about getting married. The problem is, they do not realize that they may not have yet "met their match." One has a crush on a 13 year old and the other thinks he will marry his sister - lol!

I started thinking today - it's probably a good thing they want to get married. Hopefully, it's due to the fact that my husband and I enjoy being married to each other and they want to experience the same thing. My husband and I have been married 13 1/2 years, and we have not had any screaming matches, have not slammed doors, punched walls, or made the other one sleep on the couch. We certainly have disagreements, but after 13 years, they are few and far between and are resolved quickly.

I'm certain that my in-laws relationship with each other has had an impact on our relationship. They set a great example for their children, and my husband expected our marriage to be just as strong. I think that's part of the problem with marriages today - people don't have high expectations!

When my son says, "When I'm married, maybe I'll wash the dishes to help my wife" - it makes me smile. When they play "make believe" and the "Dad" goes to work while the "Mommy" stays home - it makes me smile. When I hear them say to their sister, "You are so beautiful" - it makes me smile.

I pray that my husband and I will be a great example of a wonderful marriage relationship and that each of my children will marry the proper mate. Apart from our relationship with God, marriage is the closest relationship we will have outside of family. So, it's important to have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment