Friday, December 17, 2010

Babies Change EVERYTHING!

Who doesn't LOVE a new baby? They are soft and sweet, and sleep quite a bit! I remember when my youngest was just a few weeks old, a lady saw me holding my sleeping boy while walking down the cereal aisle at a local store. She said, "Don't you just love that age? They are so easy to care for!" I nodded my head and smiled, but inside I was thinking, "Are you crazy woman?!?!? I haven't slept more than 3 hrs in a row for weeks, my baby constantly wants to nurse, and the reason I'm carrying him is because he screams in his carseat the whole time I'm trying to shop!" Now, I know she meant well, but taking care of a baby is HARD work. Probably the hardest work I've ever done!

I decided to write a bit about this because I know at least eight ladies who are due to have babies in the near future. Some of them will be first time moms, others will be adding to their clan. Some will be having a new baby spaced closely to the ones they already have. In any situation, having a baby changes EVERYTHING! :)

Now, to keep your sanity, remember these key things:

1) Be prepared to lose your mind (otherwise referred to as "mommy brain"). Not that you will literally go insane, but I always had a terrible time thinking clearly during pregnancy and my children's infanthood.

2) Don't be discouraged if your house is a mess! I always prided myself in having an organized and tidy house, but shortly after having my son, I realized he took priority. You could ask a teenager to vacuum or fold laundry for you OR ask someone to hold the baby so you can vacuum or fold laundry.

3) Tell your husband or friends what you need! I had a hard time with this, but nobody knows how hard it is for you except for YOU! Tell them you need a nap, or 15 min for a shower, or some time by yourself shopping. Those who love you want you to be happy and healthy :)

4) If you have a baby that needs to nurse to go to sleep, or will only sleep in the swing, or takes a pacifier, DON'T FEEL GUILTY! Sometimes, well meaning people will tell you all these things are "bad," but you need to help your baby feel safe and secure, even if THEY don't approve.

5) Don't compare your baby with other babies (for good or bad). It's ok if your baby doesn't smile exactly at 6 wks old or walk on their first birthday. As long as you and your doctor are sure your baby is healthy, these milestones vary greatly from child to child.

6) Read books and ask others about taking care of baby. I probably bothered people, but I was always asking questions like, "When do I give him solid food?" "How did you relieve baby's gas?" "WHEN WILL HE SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT?" lol

7) Above all, take time to appreciate your little one because they will not stay little forever! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Heather! I appreciated that! I know my life will change drastically when Baby Hudson gets here. I am trying to learn now what my priorities really are. Even though I love a clean house that isn't on the top of the list right now! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this Heather :) I know that I will definitely have my hands full, but I will have alot of family and friends helping out. They are such a blessing. Hopefully I will be able to prioritize my time. Please keep me in your prayers. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete