Saturday, December 4, 2010

Confessions of a Control Freak

The term "control freak" is often used in a derogatory way, but a wise woman once told me, "It's okay to be a control freak, as long as you admit it" :) Well, I admit it. I am a control freak.
Now, I don't think I'm as bad as some, but nevertheless, I do tend to speak up more than the average woman and am not intimidated by telling people what to do. As a Christian woman, I really try to be careful about who I speak to and what I say. I don't want to be unsubmissive to those in authority (including my husband). And, by the way, he has the "final say" when we have decisions to make (even if I don't agree).
The thought of writing about this subject came to me as I was cooking dinner tonight. As my husband sat at the computer and my boys wreaked havoc, it crossed my mind that it doesn't bother me at all that my husband NEVER cooks. I realized that the reason for this is my "control freak" nature. If he did attempt to cook, I would probably be looking over his shoulder and "recommending" different ways to do things. It seems that my motto around the house is, "It'll be faster if I just do it myself!" I do the cooking, most of the cleaning, the ironing, and oversee most of my boy's activities. Although it is a lot to take on myself, I don't mind because. . . "It'll be faster if I just do it myself" :)
Now, because of my wanting to do everything, my husband now deals with teaching the boys "life skills" because I am too impatient. I did teach my 4 yr old to tie his shoes, but my husband taught my boys how to button/unbutton, zip, get dressed/undressed, make their beds, pick up toys/clothes, and turn on the coffee pot :) His motto is, "Why should I do it if you can do it yourself?" Wow! God knew what he was doing when he put us together, huh?
So, if you are a control freak, don't be too overbearing, but use your assets to get things done. And if you are married to a control freak, just take a deep breath and let them wait on you! LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment