Thursday, December 2, 2010

Countdown to Christmas


I love the Christmas holiday! I am especially glad this year, because my 4 yr old understands the REAL reason for the season! It's so enjoyable listening to him and his brother talk about Mary riding a donkey and baby Jesus having to sleep on the hay :) Because he understands that Jesus was the greatest gift of all, I figured I would have them "countdown to Christmas" by giving themselves to others this season.

There are many ideas online for advent calendars, but I came up with my own version and am hoping it works!

I listed 24 tasks for them to perform throughout the month (find a toy to give away, help bake cookies for a church member, etc.). Each day they will pick a task, and once it is performed, we will add the paper to our "paper chain." On Christmas Eve, we will hang the paper chain as a decoration and make a birthday cake for Jesus. On Christmas morning, my husband will read from Luke 2 and we'll sing "Happy Birthday" BEFORE opening any presents.

They are very excited about Christmas (and will probably be getting an extra special present this year), but I want them to know it is "more blessed to give than receive." And if any of you have special traditions you do with your family, please share! My children are young so I'm looking for some special traditions we can start with them :)

1 comment: