Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Why Home School?

Let me start by saying, that even though my hubby and I decided that I would home school our children, it does not mean I believe that everyone else should do the same. Every family is different, and what works for some may not work for others. I'm just going to share a bit about our decision.

First of all. . .
We did not chose to home school just because I am qualified to teach (I have a degree in Elementary Education and was state certified to teach grades K5 - 6th).
We did not chose to home school just because it is less expensive (if they went to the local Christian school, it would be a bit over our budget - especially with four children).
We did not chose to home school just because it is more convenient (I can not imagine having to feed, dress, and pack up four children every morning just to drive two of them to school).
We did not chose to home school just because we do not want our children exposed to the wrong atmosphere (and yes, I do think that even a Christian school can have a "bad atmosphere").
We did not chose to home school just because our parents, pastor, and friends have done the same (though I'm fortunate to have quite a few local friends who home school as well).

We did chose to home school because we believe that's what the Lord wants for us. Does that sound too simple? Sometimes simple is best!

I will say, I loooooove teaching. You can give me ANY topic, and I will teach someone about it (as long as I understand the topic myself!). I have taught music, art, choir, tennis, soccer, college courses on teaching, and of course all the basics (reading, writing, and 'rithmetic). I love it all!

Now, that being said, it also is nice that I know exactly what my children are being taught and how.

Remember this: teachers are humans too. So if you think about how your own mood is affected by your children's behavior, multiply that by 10, 15, or 20 students in a classroom! Teacher's have bad days and can be grouchy too. I know, at home, I have the chance to tell my boys, "Sorry, I didn't mean to 'snap' at you. Mommy will try to be more patient." That chance does not always happen in a classroom.

Also, some well meaning people become teachers, but that doesn't mean they are good at teaching. I'm sure you can think of at least one teacher you had that either was "way above your head" or made you cry (I know I've had both). Even though I do not claim to be the best teacher, I think, by God's grace, they will learn what they need. God gave parents the job to educate their children, so I believe he allows even the worst "teachers" to be successful in teaching their own children.

Since this is our first year, maybe my "song" will change by next spring, but I'm hoping it doesn't. Teaching in a classroom was much, much easier than teaching my own children at home. I need to take care of a new baby (who nurses every 3 hrs.), keep up with housework, entertain a 3 yr old so he doesn't bother his brothers, and still remember to be a wife to my husband too. BUT, so far, it has been sooo rewarding to see my boys learn. Someday I will have a daughter in K5 while my "stair step" boys will be in grades 3, 4, & 5. How fun! I better start getting in shape now! :)



2 comments:

  1. That was great, Heather! I LOVE your answer on why you chose to homeschool. That really is the bottom line. You have to follow the Lord's leading and do what you feel is right for your family. I wish I had the chance to be home-schooled but I am thankful to say that I went to Christian school all the way through.

    Your children are so precious in that video :)
    God bless you in your endeavors to raise your chidren for HIM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post Heather. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reasons for homeschooling :) Your boys are too cute :)

    ReplyDelete