Thursday, April 12, 2012

Jack of All Trades. . .Master of None

Cartoon Handyman with a Power Drill clipartMy father is truly a "jack of all trades."

I don't remember my parent's ever calling an electrician or plumber. They didn't hire a chimney sweep or a carpet installer. I honestly don't remember my dad ever taking our vehicles to a mechanic! My parents remodeled our kitchen themselves (including staining all the cabinets!). And my dad also built his own garage/barn himself and re-sided our house on his own. He could plant and maintain a garden and also bake a great, wholesome loaf of bread. He laid his own concrete sidewalk and tore down and rebuilt the back porch too!

I think part of the reason he did everything himself is because he did not want to pay someone else to do something he could do on his own, but another reason is because he likes to stay busy with his hands. My dad is definitely a "doer!" And I don't mean that he is NOT a "thinker," but he just likes to stay busy.

Apparently, I have inherited the same behavior. The problem with being a "jane of all trades," is that I truly am a "master of none!"

I can hem or patch some pants, but I couldn't sew a dress. I can bake cookies or brownies, but can't "properly" decorate a cake. I can entertain children, but not throw an elaborate birthday party. And the list goes on. . .

It is nice that I don't need to call anyone when I want to make chicken noodle soup, but it would be nice to excel at something! I see people post pics on Facebook of beautiful hair bows they made or a 5 course meal they created. Sometimes it makes me a bit jealous, but fortunately, my family does not care.

The truth is, I like to stay busy. This means I want to accomplish as much as possible in as little time as possible. So, if that means that nothing I do is absolutely perfect, then I'm okay with that. After all, it is more important that my children are fed 3 times a day than have 1 meal with bunny shaped pancakes with fruit and yogurt on the side ;)

So. . . to all the "jane of all trades" out there - be glad you can do so much! I mean, our goal in life is to raise happy, healthy children. . . not win an award for the prettiest floral arrangement, right?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment