Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Boys play "dress up?"

During my 10+ years of teaching kindergarten, I always had a large container of "dress up" clothes for the children to play with on rainy or snowy days. They loved it! Most often it was girls putting on dresses, my old shoes, and carrying around purses. I had a few men's sport coats, but they were only used occasionally. Now that I'm a mom, I have no "dress up" box (to my boy's dismay). I'm thinking of starting one.

On any given day, my oldest son decides what he is going to "be" for the day. Sometimes it's a police officer, other times it's a fireman. He has also taken the role of detective, mechanic, and doctor. Recently, he has wanted to be The Lone Ranger (thanks to watching it on Hulu). He gets quite annoyed if I don't have the proper equipment for his "daily gig," so last night I fashioned a black mask for him to wear over his eyes (he woke up early just to put it on). And I don't know if it's good or not, but his younger brother is now following in his footsteps. We actually did our grocery shopping with two cowboys last night!

My plan is to head out after halloween to buy some accessories for the boys. My oldest really thinks he needs a sword and his brother wants a cowboy hat. My conclusion is that "dress up" is definitely not just for girls! I think it helps develop their imagination, I'm just hoping they don't decide to be defence attorneys some day! LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment