Thursday, November 4, 2010

Customer Service - It Ain't What It Used To Be

First of all, let me say, this post has nothing to do with my children. Although, I will say, I pulled out the hide-a-bed for them to jump on for a while so I could type this. That should give me 20 min or so before they fall off and break something or start fussing at each other - LOL!
My issue today is with customer service representatives the world over (and I use the word "world" because I'm pretty sure I have had some conversations with men from India!). Monday I tried loading some coupons on my Kroger Plus card, but the program did not seem to recognize my card (funny, since it works all the time when I'm at the store). I called customer service and explained the situation to a lady who seemed to care less about my problem. She took my information and told me it would take 1-2 days for the system to update. Today is Thursday (3 days later), and my card still won't work. The part that bothers me the most is that when I called on Monday, I asked if she needed my name or email - she curtly replied "no." I also asked if there could be a specific reason why my card wouldn't work - she only replied to wait 1-2 days, then said, "Will that be all?" as if I was wasting her time. I tried to call back today, but after 15 min of waiting for a customer service representative to answer, I gave up. Now I'm pretty sure Kroger has enough money to pay for enough customer service reps! I mean, how many people are calling them anyway?
And speaking of hiring enough help, what is the point of having an all automated system? I called about another store card I have, because I wanted to try to get a new card (one of my boys bent my other one), and I only received automated prompts. Not one option to SPEAK to someone - not even pressing "0" helped! I also called about a question on my water bill, and an older lady said, "I'm sorry, I can't help you with that." I waited for her to connect me to someone else, but she didn't! I guess she thought I could figure it out myself - LOL!
I'm starting to think that companies do not want to talk to consumers at all! They would rather that we all do our business online, but there are some issues that cannot be resolved that way. On a positive note, the last time I updated our car insurance, I spoke to a very nice man who even told me to "have a nice day!" He seemed old enough to remember the days before the internet "fixed" everything :)
OK, enough venting for today. I need to get on the phone to cancel an order I made and will probably be waiting for at least 10 min to get through. Hoping I'm done by lunch time!

No comments:

Post a Comment