Friday, November 12, 2010

The Monotony of Motherhood

Do you ever accomplish something meanial, but still feel like shouting from the rooftop about it? Then, the thing you just accomplished becomes moot because there is something else that needs to be accomplished? Welcome to the monotony of motherhood.

Let's take laundry. One day you magically finish washing, folding, and putting away 6 loads of laundry before starting dinner. VICTORY! But then, your 4 yr. old spills milk on his shirt. For a minute, you want to tell him to still wear it when you go out, but you know it will start to smell. Ugh! And then, by the time baths are finished, you realize the laundry baskets are filled with dirty jeans, shirts, socks, and underwear. NOOOOOO! Those laundry baskets were empty just two hours ago!!!!!

Or, we could talk about floors. One day you vacuum all the carpets, wash the floors, and even clean all the bath mats. VICTORY! Then you see your 2 yr. old sitting in the middle of the living room with a box of fish crackers. You know what's going to happen when his brother comes in and wants some as well - "Mine!' "I need some too!" "NO!" - and then the box gets knocked over and little fishies are swimming everywhere. NOOOOO! Just because the floors are now clean enough to eat off of, didn't mean I wanted you to do it!

Now my favorite - the kitchen. You spend longer than usual preparing a nice meal for the family. After dinner, you put away leftovers, load and start the dishwasher, and clean up all the counter tops. VICTORY! You think this is wonderful, and decide to relax and watch a movie since you're so "ahead of things." But, before bed, you go to put your glass in the sink, and realize that the "milk before bed" cups are in your once empty sink. NOOOOOO! My sink had been empty and sparkling not so long ago!

For those of you who are not married, I know you face the same thing. You may pay off a credit card, then have the fuel pump go in your car, resulting in another charge on your account. It happens to all of us, but I will say, staying at home with my children, I now notice these things more often! Life really does seem to have us running around in circles! The only thing that keeps me sane is hoping that my circles are spiraling upwards :) Oh, and it helps when I hear one of my boys say, "Me really like your food, Mom!"





No comments:

Post a Comment