Monday, November 8, 2010

Say what?

I'm sure all of you are familiar with the variety of words children come up with as they begin to talk, like "woof" for all dogs or "go go" for all cars. I was thinking about the words my children have said and thought I'd share a few. Maybe it will give you a good laugh, like it did for me :)

When my oldest was little, he consistently said the word "stop" backwards. We would come to a red light, and he would yell, "POTS!" We always tried to correct him, but he continued to say it until he was at least 2 1/2! He also would say the word "lello" (pronounced like hello with an "L"). Now you would think he was trying to say the word "yellow," right? WRONG! He was saying "other!" Now, I hate to admit it, but he still says the word wrong now that he's 4. Whenever my hubby or I hear him, we make him say it correctly, but when he's in a rush, it still comes out wrong. People are going to think his favorite color is yellow - LOL!

Now my second son has always been a chatterbox, but has a whole different problem than his older brother. He says words correctly, but in the wrong order. For example, he is not a morning person, and frequently I will ask, "Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?" On days when he's particularly grumpy, I'll ask what is wrong. He will say, "I slept on the side of the bed wrong!" LOL

My youngest son is a parrot. He has been able to say words like bulldozer and spaghetti since he was very young, BUT he talks like a robot. It can be quite amusing. I will often hear, "More. milk. please. mommy." or maybe, "We go? to? the park? NOW?" My husband and I have noticed he does have the best manners at his age. I guess harping on the other two was worth the trouble :)

As a former teacher, I try not to get too "bent out of shape" about my children's speaking abilities. I'll work with them through the years, and hopefully they will not pick up on too much of this teenage slang that is prevalent now. If they try pronouncing the word "school" like "skul," I just may blow a fuse!

No comments:

Post a Comment