Monday, November 1, 2010

The Noise of Boys

OK, I have a little pet peeve to address today. It is the excessive amount of and various ways my boys can make noise! I grew up as an only child, so my dad was the only male in the house. Let me say, it was not comical to burp at the table. And heavens, if it came out the other end, it was a total embarrassment! Well, that is not the case in my house now. If someone belches at the table (or anywhere else, for that matter), it causes instant laughter. And if it's my youngest who lets out the burp, the laughs seem even louder!

There are many other noises I also hear on a daily basis - siren sounds, whooping sounds, automobile sounds, shooting sounds, and of course whining sounds :) About a year ago, my oldest boy, then 3, started humming a repetitive "theme song" he had made up whenever he was playing. The song caught on, and now all three boys hum, "da da da dum, da da da dum, ..." when they are playing. I admire his creativity, but sometimes, I just want QUIET!

Oh, let me not forget the sounds of play. This would include jumping - on the kitchen floor - while wearing boots. Or crashing cars into blocks. Or simply running through the house yelling something important like, "I'm gonna put you in jail!"

Although my boys are noisy, I will admit, there is one noise I could listen to all day long. . . the sound of their innocent little giggles :)

1 comment: